Are you starting to notice the dreaded dry skin of winter, now that the cold weather has settled in? I know I am, and so are a lot of my patients!
Dry skin drives me craaaazy – I find it extremely uncomfortable and will do anything to prevent it. I know you probably feel the same way, so here are my top 3 tips for more beautiful skin this winter:1. Stay hydrated. Yep, totally obvious, but many of us drink less water in the winter. I totally get not wanting to drink cold water on cold days, so my favorite way to stay hydrated in winter is with herbal teas. Because herbal teas don’t have caffeine, there’s no diuretic effect – meaning you stay hydrated. They’re also packed with anti-oxidants, bioflavonoids and phytochemicals – fancy words that mean good $#!& for your skin.
Not sure what kind of herbal tea you should be drinking? Custom formulas are available – all made with organic and wildcrafted herbs:
- ImmuniTea – turn your immune system into a powerhouse with this blend of Echinacea and herbs rich in trace minerals and vitamin C
- SereniTea – wish you had a chill pill? This tea calms down overactive minds and promotes a sense of relaxation.
- FemininiTea – a blend of herbs that balance female hormones, safe throughout all life stages from PMS, pregnancy and menopause.
- AlkaliniTea – a nourishing blend of alkalinizing herbs that are rich in trace minerals and anti-oxidants and support detoxification
2. Get your Omega 3s. Did you know dry skin and folliculitis (the little red bumps you get on the backs of your arms – ie ‘chicken skin’) and skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis are signs of omega 3 fatty acid deficiencies? Omega 3s are the backbone for every cell in your body and help you retain moisture, while also having an anti-inflammatory and anti-aging effect on the body.
Omega 3’s come from fish oil – and no, you can’t just eat fish. (Well you can but you’d have to eat it A LOT). Hydrate from the inside out by taking a high quality fish oil that provides you with at least a 2:1 ratio of EPA:DHA and also provides you with at least 1000 mg of EPA in as few capsules as possible. (Read the label, people!). Take with your evening meal to decrease the change of having those fishy after-burps that no one enjoys.
3. Moisturize with oil, not cream! Yes, I said oil. Using all natural plant oils on your face is the best way (read it again – the best way) to keep your skin hydrated, especially during the winter months.
Watch this short video to find out why – then try it and let me know how much you love it. I use oil on my face every night, and when I wake up its never dry or oily, it’s just smooth, soft and ready to fight Old Man Winter.
I know you’re beautiful on the inside. Stay beautiful on the outside too! If you want some tea, fish oil or skin serum – just say the word. Email [email protected] or call 905-852-9700 and we’ll get you what you need!